About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Product Review: Health Valley No Salt Added Organic Minestrone

Soup is one of those things you'd think would be good for you, aside from high-fat cream soups. But have you looked at your average soup can label lately? Ingredients such as high-fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate (aka MSG) and, in some cases, about half the recommended daily allowance of sodium for the average adult are all too common on the labels.

One name I've always trusted in the health food business is Health Valley. I decided to try some of the low-sodium soups. The company features some soups with no salt added, just the natural sodium that is in the ingredients. In addition, the soups are organic.

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but overall, I would put this Health Valley No Salt Added Organic Minestrone (spiced up with a touch of my favorite addition, Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic) up against any canned minestrone I've tried. You can always add a pinch of salt yourself, of course, but try it without adding salt first. I think the organic ingredients really make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment