About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Friday, October 22, 2010

A Revolution in Snacking

My all-time favorite appetizer is Olga's Snackers™.  I was appalled to learn how much salt and fat are in those cute little pita crackers and the Swiss cheese spread that accompanies them.

I determined this afternoon that I'd make my own version. It's already 12:30 p.m. and I've made one and tried it. (Now that's a quick snack.) 

First of all, I wanted them to look and taste somewhat like the original. Paprika mimics the red coloring, which probably was achieved from seasoning salt. So, after spraying with Olivio spray to make the seasoning stick and allow for some browning, lightly cover one half a whole wheat pita (but split it first) with enough paprika. Also sprinkle the pita with a bit of  a of Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic and Lawry's Seasoned Pepper (at a guess, it'd be about 1/4 tsp of each spice blend). 

Place on a rack in a toaster oven; set toaster oven to toasting option (or in the case of mine, on bake) and set the dial on medium. As toaster ovens are all a little different, watch the pita so it doesn't burn. Use about 2 tsp. Swiss cheese spread (I tried Kaukauna's version). 

No comments:

Post a Comment