About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mom's Fruit Salad

Fruit salad dressed with a mixture of Cool Whip and Miracle Whip to bind it was the fruit salad of my childhood, sort of a Waldorf salad-type thing. That's really not necessary to taste good, as my mother proved with hers made for a recent family graduation party.

Mom's Fruit Salad

Serves between 30-35 people.

Mom prepares the salad the day of the party, as she doesn't like it to get a bit watery in the bottom. If you have to make it in advance, you always can drain it. (We were eating it for about four days after the party; I liked it better the second day.)

1 cantelope, cut into 1-inch squares
half a honeydew melon, diced into 1-inch squares
two center-cut pieces of a medium-sized seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch squares
quart of strawberries, washed, hulled and each sliced in half
pint of blueberries, washed
2 C. red seedless grapes, washed and halved
1/2 of one cored, peeled pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch square pieces

Mix together into a very large mixing bowl. Additional fruit salad may be kept in the refrigerator in a large freezer bag to replenish the bowl as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment