Why does nearly every spaghetti sauce I see have sugar in it? Is it really necessary?
Here are some of the answers I ran across doing a brief Internet search:
- To tone down the acidity.
- Just because we've always done it that way.
- I prefer to use carrots; it's an Italian thing.
- I don't care why; it's wrong.
- Isn't that illegal in some states?
My guess is that it depends on how acidic the tomatoes used are. What do you think? It's relevant right now; I am planning to make homemade pasta sauce for dinner.
Please answer quickly: should I put sugar in my spaghetti sauce or not? Why?
Thanks for your input!