About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Green Cleanup

Kitchen La Boheme, one of my followed blogs had a most excellent post on green products you can use in your kitchen. I thought it was an awesome post, and hope you read it!

It leads me to think of things we can do to make sure our cooking, eating and cleanup is greener:

A big one is to minimize the waste products we have by selecting items which use less packaging. 

Certain cereal boxes, for example, are packaged with less waste than others, such as Cascadian Farm organic cereals, making them better for our bodies and the environment.

Overpackaging comes in things like 100 calorie packs. Count out your own 5 Oreo Minis from a larger package, put it on a plate, put away the package and eat it at the table.

Buy fresh fruits and vegetables and recycle the plastic bags/boxes in which you carry them to the checkout.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you have any more green shopping, cooking or cleanup ideas, feel free to make suggestions in the comments area.

No comments:

Post a Comment