About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Product Review: Arrowhead Mills and Bob's Red Mill: A Tale of Three Cereals

I've been trying a number of new products since I started my gluten-free journey. 

It is working. I've had overall less sinus/allergy problems and lost some weight without really counting calories. That and incorporating more exercise are the next step for me. 

I truly enjoyed Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes: They stay a bit crunchy, even if you let them sit while you're getting coffee ready, etc. I also think they'd be a great substitute to crush and put on meat to "oven fry." (Usually, you would use something like Kellogg's Corn Flakes; however, that has barley in it, which is a no-no on a gluten-free diet.)

I wasn't quite as thrilled with the Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Steel-Cut Oats. I cooked the oats for the amount of time specified on the package and they were still too crunchy for my taste (it states on the package not to microwave them, either, which is my usual modus operandi for making oatmeal ... what can I say: I'm impatient). I think they would be better cooked 10-20 minutes, versus the 10-12 minutes listed on the package. 

The reason I haven't tried that yet is because I have Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain Rolled Oats. I did cook it in the microwave. It was done in about half the three-minute time given on the package. A caveat: cover and microwave the bowl in 30-second increments to avoid the overflow of oats I had. What was left, I really liked. I covered it but "nuked" for a minute 30 seconds, hence the oozing out of oats.

I hope these reviews are helpful to you and want to note that, in my area of Southeast Michigan, these products are at Whole Foods Market, Walmart and Kroger.



No comments:

Post a Comment