I knew this yesterday, but I forgot it when I hit the ground running starting before 9 a.m.
It is National Coffee Day.
Yes, it's a bit after 7 p.m. Just the perfect time to go grab a decaf latte, iced coffee or a blended cold, frosty drink.
If you don't feel like going out, try this flexible recipe:
Frosty Coffee Drink
This can be an iced coffee or more of a frappe (frozen) drink. Depends on the number of ice cubes.
Place the following in the blender:
- 2-3 heaping teaspoons of instant coffee (It's usually decaf for me; I use Maxwell House. The exact amount depends on how many ice cubes and how much water you put in it.)
- 1 to 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, optional (original also is fine)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon orange extract, optional (almond extract is also good)
- 5-10 ice cubes, depending upon how frosty you like it
- Approximately 12-16 ounces of water, depending upon how much coffee flavor you want and how thick you want it
- Stevia to taste (I use three to four packets; feel free to use sugar if you prefer it: I have not tried it with honey or agave nectar)
This is a pretty healthy recipe; if you want something more fattening and more sinful than a famous coffee shop version, try this recipe from "The Pioneer Woman," Ree Drummond.