About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sorry, Charlie

Was anyone else as amazed as I am by this article -- complete with recipes -- that I found in Eating Well's online magazine? Apparently, sardines are a better bet than tuna in terms of Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E.

Sorry, Charlie.

I had no clue that you can eat the whole sardine, including skin and bones. Kind of an eww factor in my head thinking about it, but I'm not going to knock sardines until I try them, which I plan to do at the earliest possible opportunity.

It can't be worse than anchovies on pizza (much as I love Rachel Ray's cooking, I'm probably not going to try any of her recipes using anchovies as a result of that particular culinary adventure).

Apparently, fresh sardines are tastier than canned, and, supposedly are available at the meat counter. The article also contains recipes.

I'd like to know where in Metro Detroit you can purchase fresh sardines, since I've never seen them. Of course, I do live in the great wilds of northwestern Oakland County, which could explain this gap in my education. Let me know if you know. I'd also love to hear your comments about any of the sardine recipes you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment