About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Mom's "Birthday Cake": Three Berry Shortcake

Today is my mom's birthday. We had Three Berry Shortcake, because it's been hot and no one felt like baking.

Shortcake was made more or less following the directions on Bisquick Heart Smart®, except we used Splenda. They are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter and rather flat.

Three servings of berry shortcake consisted of:

Approximately 1 1/2 c. mixed berries, cleaned (1/4 c. raspberries, 1/4 cup blueberries and 1 c. halved strawberries)
About 2/3 c. Kraft Cool Whip Light (just enough to cover the berries)
Six thin "shortcakes," halved

To assemble each serving, put one half of one shortcake topped with some of the berry mixture in a serving bowl; repeat layers ending with berry mixture on top.

My parents and I all enjoy this dessert; I find I prefer to use only one split shortcake so I have a higher berry to shortcake ratio.

If you don't care for Cool Whip, you may use frozen yogurt, ice cream or a dairy-free frozen dessert (thaw it slightly first). It also works well with thin slices of angel food cake or one large store-made biscuit (again, cut in half), although you need to leave the berry mixture to soak into the biscuits a bit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment