About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

An Apple a Day

Found a tidbit about apples, which are in season. posted by Julie Freeman, RD, MA, LD on Visions Medical Center blog, reminding me why apples are so good for us. (It's a bit of a way down the page listing recent entries.)

Apples have insoluable and soluable fiber. Fiber can sweep away toxins, lower cholesterol and help you to feel full while eating. The flavanoids in apples can help to fight prostate cancer, and decrease the type of inflammation that inflames asthma and allergy attacks.

I highly recommend a sweet apple that's only available this time of year called Honey Crisps. I usually find them at Colasanti's Market in Highland or VG's  Grocery (which has several locations). I'm going to get some before they're gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment