About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

What to Do with the Great (Meaning Big) Pumpkin

Pumpkins are in season right now. The variations in size (and, to some degree, shape) can be enormous.

If you (or someone who you know) has a big patch of pumpkins that need to be used up this fall, keep this in mind.  

-Pie pumpkins are not meant to be carved, they are intended to be eaten! Find a good recipe (such as Classic Pumpkin Pie with Betty White on Martha Stewart's website) and use it. It definitely tastes better than canned pumpkin. (Roasting a small pumpkin in the oven isn't a huge production; you just cut it in halves, take out the seeds and roast it. The pulp scoops out nicely with a large spoon.) Or you can simply eat it as you would eat squash. Allrecipes.com has an article showing how to bake, boil or microwave the pumpkin, along with links for several recipes.

-For the rest of the year, when fresh pumpkin isn't available, see some of Hungry Girl Lisa Lillen's recipes on her website using canned pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment